Friday, November 7, 2008

Michael

As you all know...my hubby was deployed to Iraq for 15 months...not too awful long ago. During the time that he was there, he and the other soldiers in his "squad" became very close...even life-long friends. Not only them...but, their wives are now my soul-sisters...we have actually made it through hell together!

The media sometimes portrays our soldiers in a harsh light, and many of you know that that is one of my pet peeves...and one of the hardest parts of being a soldiers wife. I support him to no end.

There are SO many different sides to this war. It is definitely NOT just 2 sided, as in us and them. We (military) really are trying to do our best for this country(Iraq) who has no support of their own.

OK...enough of the emotional rant that I can get on so easily.....onto my news!

During the time that my hubby was there serving, he became VERY close with his Iraqi Interpreter....we call him Michael (unsure of his Iraqi name). Actually...the whole squad did. They (the intrepreters) were in just as much danger every day, right alongside our guys...helping their country in any way they could....even under great fear of retaliation to them and their families for working with the Americans. Michael's biggest dream was to be able to come to America and start over, here with his family, and be safe.

I just got word today that Michael was finally approved for a Visa and will be arriving in the States this week. He will be staying with the different families in our squad until he can get established. I can't WAIT to tell my hubby the good news...and I am really hoping that he will be able to stay with us for a time.

I am talking to a wife of one of the guys as I type this journal....and we are planning our next get together...to include Michael.

It's really not everyday that you hear about our guys opening their homes to "strangers" from a land that we are currently at war with...it really touches my heart, and I wanted to share it with you. :)

No comments: