Monday, March 15, 2010

Diabetes?

It all started over a year ago...after my dad's accident, and subsequent diabetes. We were discussing the effects of insulin and blood sugar. I decided to give everyone a lesson...and check their blood sugar after eating a big piece of cake and comparing the levels between a diabetic reading versus all of our non-diabetic readings.

This is when I discovered that my then 3 year old had a reading of over 200 (almost double the normal). Because it wasn't a "fasting" blood sugar, I waited and re-tested her the next morning...still high. I made her a doctor's appointment that day...even higher. The PA there told me she was diabetic and wanted to refer us to a new Ped in the area. I took the appt...but wasn't totally comfortable with that doc.

I ended up driving her an hour up to the children's hospital. By the time we got there, and were seen...her blood sugar was back to normal, figures. They wanted to check her first thing in the AM again...with no food...and I already had the standing order from the other doc...so, instead of admitting her...we took her home, and back up for blood work the next day.

That blood test was fine...but her Insulin level was low Kinda makes no sense......if your insulin is low...your sugar goes up because it's the insulin that converts carbs to blood sugar and gets the sugar inside your cells for energy. I followed up with the doc...he says, it's not off that much...don't worry about it right now, it's not diabetes we'll keep an eye on it.

ok...so, a YEAR goes by.

I'm at the doctor last week with her for a UTI. This doc (our new one) notices her off reading for the insulin level last year and asked what was done about it. Huh? Nothing...that's what the doc said to do!

She decided that it needs to be followed up on now...we retest her the next morning after fasting again....the results....

Normal blood sugar, low Insulin...again! Now she has to consult with another Ped, and an Endocrinologist.....looks like more blood work in the future for my little one :(

No comments: